By and large, eggs as part of a baby’s diet gets an absolute yes from paediatricians. Obviously, this is because there are a lot of health benefits for babies. Their development is better, faster and richer, so why not add an egg to your baby’s daily diet and see the difference?
Number of eggs a baby can eat per week:
A child can eat any number of eggs in a week, but ideally four eggs a week is just fine to be sure that he is getting the nutrients he requires while avoiding high cholesterol.
He can eat one egg a day, anything more than that could harm his heart. It is best to feed him all kinds of foods so that he gets all the nutrients his body needs, rather than focus on just one.
When can he start eating eggs?
At age eight to nine months, he can eat a whole egg in a baked goodie. If you come from a family of egg allergies, it will help the little one to wait until he’s a year old to eat egg yolks.
Benefits of eggs for babies:
Here are the top benefits of eggs for your baby:
- Eggs help his all-round growth and development: Eggs are proteins, which means that they help in generating new cells to grow his skin, hair, hormones, tissues, etc. One egg to your little one is equal to a multivitamin tablet.
- Eggs give healthy vision: Eggs contain Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are critical for sharp vision and ensuring healthy retinas.
- Eggs help develop baby’s brain: Egg yolks contain choline, which is an essential part in the brain’s nerves. Choline stimulates brain development and functioning, builds cell membranes and is responsible for brain molecules which signal the nerves. It is not produced by the body adequately, so a constant supply must be provided by our diet.
- Eggs prevent anemia in kids: Eggs are a good source of iron, which when not eaten in adequate amounts, can lead to anemia in toddlers.
- Eggs help make DNA and red blood cells: Eggs contain folic acid, which is a water-soluble vitamin, very essential for kids’ neural health. A deficiency in folate can cause weakness and neural damage, so it would help if toddlers eat an egg each day to get the best out of folic acid.
- Eggs help baby’s bones grow strong: Egg yolks are rich in Vitamins A, D, E and K, which are all fat-soluble. Together, they help a baby’s bones and teeth grow strong and affect the way your baby’s face develops.
For a growing baby, eggs are a wonder food with a plethora of benefits ranging from brain and neural development to strong bone structure. Egg yolks should be given to babies since at their age, they can digest them easily. If an egg is made part of his daily diet in different forms, such as scrambled egg, omelette or baked dishes, it would help your baby grow steadily and well.