If you are a new mom, you must have heard by now of the benefits of giving your baby jaggery. Of course, jaggery is very nutritious, but can you give it to your baby? Though everyone knows that it is more nutritious than sugar, but again giving it to a baby raises several doubts. If this has been bothering you, why not read about the health benefits of jaggery for babies?
Jaggery or gur is unrefined sugar and is used in several parts of India in sweets and spicy dishes. It is rich in iron, phosphorus and calcium, apart from other minerals. This makes it a very good white sugar substitute.
In rural parts of India, babies are weaned very late and therefore do not have adequate nourishment. At such times, jaggery is considered the best food to prevent any iron deficiency.
Health benefits of jaggery for babies:
- Prevents anaemia from developing: Jaggery is rich in iron, thus making it perfect for making red blood cells and haemoglobin. Having a sufficient amount of iron in the body helps keep anemia at bay and produce the required number of red and white blood cells.
- Boosts immunity: Jaggery is a powerhouse of minerals and antioxidants, such as zinc and selenium, which help prevent the chance of cell damage due to the action of free radicals. Jaggery helps babies fight infection and so boost their immunity.
- Treats babies for cough, cold and flu: Babies often suffer from cough, cold, flu, water retention and bloating. At such times, jaggery is very good treatment for these conditions. By mixing jaggery in warm water and letting your baby sip it with his food, he will soon find relief.
- Prevents constipation: If your baby cries his eyes out due to constipation, give him some jaggery in water to help him have smooth bowel movements and get rid of constipation. Besides, jaggery will help him activate his digestive enzymes and stimulate his digestion. The unrefined sugar quotient in jaggery lets the digestive enzymes secrete easily and is therefore recommended for babies’ easy digestion.
- Strengthens bones: Jaggery is rich in phosphorus and calcium, which are essential for the growth and development of healthy bones and tissues. By adding jaggery to your baby’s diet, he will have strong teeth and healthy bones.
- Cleans the liver: Jaggery or unrefined sugar, helps detoxify the baby’s system entirely. Jaggery eliminates all harmful toxins from the baby’s body and then detoxifies the body. By adding a small piece of jaggery to your baby’s food, his liver can be cleaned naturally.
- Gets rid of stomach problems and worms: Babies who suffer from stomach problems, worms and mild rash due to prickly heat can get relief by eating a piece of jaggery to cool the system.
Though jaggery is found in most homes, yet new moms like you should desist from giving this to your newborn at the earliest opportunity. Instead, wait and speak to your doctor before giving your baby a piece to solve his current problems.